Sunday, January 31, 2010

28.

well I've obviously failed at posting detailed stories from my trip to Guatemala. haven't I?

life here is so busy. to be busy is something that I like, it give me a nice guide through life. a purpose, ya know?
but there are also times when I wish my to do list was empty.
or maybe just said:

1. write your niece a letter
2. play with Sully
3. read a book at your leisure
4. practice woodworking
5. make something with your hands that is red, green, and blue
6. sketch cowboy boots

but that isn't it. so I'll post a favorite photo to each blog update with a brief description. I feel like I've failed at this attempt to blog about my entire trip.
there truly isn't enough time in the day.

my friend Jess took a photo of me working today. i think she really captured that "how should I say this?" moment. it's funny - i've never seen myself mid-thought.

she's good. we were waiting for the public library to open because we got there too early. big dorks!

and now for a photo from my trip:
this may be my favorite photo from the entire trip. as we were riding a very cramped shuttle form San Marcos la Laguna to Antigua so we could catch the overnight bus to Tikal we were stuck in a bit of a traffic jam. there are so many disjointed pueblos in Guatemala. this one in particular was a big agricultural town - cabbage, corn (obviously), greens, and more corn. the plots were laid out with perfection. the symmetry of the rectangles and juxtaposition of colors of the year's growth inspired me to pull out my camera. i could hardly see these people meeting up in the overgrowth, but then I did see them...and it was amazing. i have no idea what they are doing, but I love the intent look on the two men's faces - like they are consciously and carefully listening. i'm not sure to what or to whom. i think that's okay though. i don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment